Did you know that in October 2021, there were 4.88 billion people around the world that have used the internet? Because the number of people that use the internet continues to grow, web applications are being used by many of those people around the world. In this cheat sheet, you will learn what a web application is, how they work, and different ones that can solve problems in our daily lives.
What is a Web Application (and How do They Work)?
You probably already know what a mobile application is. A web application is pretty similar except it is not on your phone but on the internet.
You may ask the following question:
What is the difference between a website and a web application?
Well, a website is content-based in which it will show only text and images with little interaction needed. On the other hand, a web application is a tool with more functionality and interaction needed. Also, web applications can be any sort of tool or even a video game.
If you are still not clear on the difference, here is a comparison between websites and web applications:
- Less functionality
- Usually client side
- Content-based (plenty of text and images)
- May be mobile-friendly
- More functionality
- Usually server side
- Minimal text
- Very mobile-friendly
Terms to Know
Here are some terms you should know before we start getting into the nitty-gritty of things:
- Server-side – The backend of the web application or website that runs on a server
- Client-side – The front of the web application or website which carries a lot of the design and visual aspects
- Mobile-friendly – A website or web application that is mobile-friendly means that can run smoothly on a mobile device such as a phone or tablet without any issues
2 Examples of Web Applications that I Offer
The Pros and Cons of Web Applications
- No download required
- Accessible on any web browser
- Takes up zero RAM
- Mobile friendly
- May be more prone to hacks (Depends on application)
- Requires WiFi
Some of the key takeaways that I want you to walk away with include that web applications are different from websites since web apps are tools and also that web applications are internet-based and have many useful qualities as there are many web applications out there. Check out some of my web applications that I have to offer. That’s it for this post!